taking something old... making something new.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

my dancin' shoes

Okay, so I know I'm taking this whole fabric thing too far, but since the time I forced myself to stop looking at other people's weddings for ideas (was starting to get discouraged) my mind has been flooded with new ideas...and I'm much too excited about them to let reality keep me in check. I have 74 days until my day of wedded bliss and I've got a lot to do, but my shoes are a pretty important element to my big day. I wanted something special and unique and brightly colored. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anything that fit my wedding shoe criteria: 1. Not strappy--I hate the way my feet look in strappy sandals 2. Had to be peep toe--I love peep toe 3. Heel needed to be between 2-3" in height. I'm already 5'10" and I don't want to be an amazon on my wedding day! Besides, I'm only about 4" shorter than Bartek. 4. Couldn't have stiletto heels--I don't want to aeriate Ashley's lawn with my shoes. I'm going to be spending at least 6 hours outside in the grass! 5. And last, I wanted something bright, unique, and me. So, what else to do when I can't find a shoe to fit the criteria? Well, I make them of course!
I took this great pair of Kenneth Cole shoes that I love but haven't worn for a while because, well, I haven't had a need for silver shoes lately. They are broken in, comfortable, and I can easily see myself wearing these all day with no problems. Besides, I love how they look on my feet. I went to Ben Franklin and got this amazing Amy Butler fabric, a bottle of super strength Mod Podge, and a foam brush.
Then I simply tore fabric into strips and slathered on the glue! I applied glue directly to the shoe (lots of it) first, then applied it over the fabric after putting it on. Once the shoes were fully covered, I cut Thin strips to line the edges and give them a nice, finished look!
Looking up close, they're definitely not perfect, but I don't really worry what the little critters in the grass think about my shoes. I'm pretty darn excited about them. When the rest of my sisters come out before the wedding, we're going to have a shoe-making party and we'll have everyone make a pair of shoes in different funky fabrics. It should be great fun~!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Cyd, these turned out far better than I was imagining when I first heard your plan - which sounded like a good idea.
    They look GREAT, I love how they turned out - especially with the crossover fabric edging.
    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous!! We used to modge podge frames in college with magazine clippings, but I think this is a much better use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my WORD. I love love love these. Every post gets me more excited for your wedding :)

    ReplyDelete