My first task. I've got to first destruct the original dress. My weapon of choice: a seam ripper, a comfortable chair, some good eyes, and a lot of time. I've got to take out every stitch in this dress because I need as much of that fabric as possible. Also that lace was stitched onto the fabric using the tiniest zigzag stitch and those are a pain to unpick.
I am so in love with this lace. It is so hard to find really great lace like this. I even think that this is a cotton blend which is really nice, it has a great feel to it and it ironed up really well.
I know, nothing interesting to see yet, but I've at least got my pieces separated. The lace will be set aside to use as-is for the bodice. Since it will make up the majority of the bodice, I'll line half of it (to the yellow piping) and leave the other half transparent so you can really see the detail against the skin. I think it'll look quite nice, really. I'll use the yellow bodice pieces I took off as a pattern for the silk, and I'll hang on to the skirt pieces to make a tie later on. Hopefully there will be enough for a substantial tie. I may have to get creative in the end. We'll see. Until next time!
Look at how big my sweets kids are getting!
11 months ago